Thursday, 26 June 2008

D'you think she's "on"?

Pardon my French and my childish title but Harriet Harman can fuck off.
Stuff like this is why my blog is called political dissuasion.

According to the BBC...
Equalities Minister Harriet Harman has set out plans on equality to the House of Commons.

According to the BBC...
Equality minister Harriet Harman has set out plans to allow firms to discriminate in favour of female and ethnic minority job candidates.

My dictionary says...
Discriminate - "... (a) To treat unequally."


Can you see where I'm going with this?

How can this Government have the audacity to label this a measure of equality when it is the absolute polar opposite?
It is war and peace
Hot and cold
Dead and alive.

You cannot claim you are being equal when, as a man, I am now less likely to get offered a job than I was yesterday. I've done nothing wrong, I haven't got stupid overnight. Apart from needing a shave I haven't changed in the slightest from an employability perspective.

I'm sure many bloggers will be making the same point but...

If I was looking to employ someone and I said
"You're not getting the job because...
...the other candidate is white"
...the other candidate s younger than you"
...the other candidate is Catholic"
...the other candidate is straight".

I'd be up in court.
In fact if I said
"You aren't getting the job because you're a woman" - this would surely result in a prosecution, which no doubt Harriet 'fuck-off' Harman would strongly support.

But if I said "You aren't getting the job because you're a man" DeputyPM FuckOff wouldn't have a problem with that, she would see it as a "postive action" claiming this is "progress"!?

The Commission for Equality and Human Rights an independent public body, state that
"Direct sex discrimination is less favourable treatment of a woman than a man (or vice versa) because of their sex. "

Harriet Harman has been using the example of women working the same jobs as men but getting paid less for doing the same job. Yup! I agree, this is a bad thing. But encouraging people to employ more women isn't going to change this. The Government is talking about forcing companies to disclose how much people in the same job get paid to ensure it is fair and equal. Yup, no problems here. If a company is paying a woman less, and they've been forced to disclose this, hence being caught out, then they will surely be fined and sued by the woman for reimbursement if she wishes.

But if these companies are part of the 'old boys network', how is encouraging them to 'pick-the-chick' going to change an organiations ethos?
Also, I've not heard Hardman Harriet say that women aren't actually getting the jobs already, all she has spoken about all day is that women get paid less once in the role. So why are you fucking about with the getting of a job, when it's the wage of having the job you're worried about?

I am going to stop writing now as I am getting so angry, so flummoxed and so disillussioned at such a stupid, stupid approach from Labour, again, that I'm struggling to make sense and get a decent point across without calling her names, but I'm sure I'm not the only one who thinks this. I may return to this if I can stop being so grrrrrrrrrrrrrr. It's just another example of guys getting a good old fashioned kicking because it's never going to backfire in politics. When did it become fair-game to regularly shit on the male species?

Yet again, as the prolific Gary Strang once said
"It's always us blokes getting it in the neck. There you go, I'm a bloke, there's my neck, get it in there!" For want of a better argument...

So fuck off Harriet Harman.

No comments: